Personal Injury FAQ

Personal Injury FAQ

Q: Can you handle an accident or death case occurring outside Wisconsin?

A: Yes. We do so by teaming up with other counsel and/or requesting admission to practice in that state for the limited purpose of that case. This is on a case by case basis. We have handled cases all over Wisconsin during the past 29 years.

Q: Do I have to pay you any money to handle an Accident or Death case?

A: No. We get paid only if and when we collect compensation for you. The more we collect, the more we get paid. So, we have very huge incentives to collect the most available cash in the shortest possible time.

We also cover the costs and expenses associated with the case and only seek reimbursement if and when we collect for you. If we don’t collect or you don’t get paid, we don’t get reimbursed for our out of pocket expenses.

Q: Do I have to be injured to collect compensation for an accident I was involved in?

A: Yes. Getting involved in an accident without resulting injuries and losses does not entitle you to compensation. You must show you suffered or sustained pain, suffering, a temporary or permanent disability, required medical treatment, therapy and or diagnostic testing and will require future medical treatment and or therapy and/or related testing, suffered lost wages and will continue to lose wages and or incur the ability to be employed as you were prior to the accident. If you need our assistance in locating a doctor that is convenient for you, we will be happy to assist you in that regard and also make sure the doctor doesn’t send you any bills.

Presenting and proving these losses requires you to retain a lawyer and, that is what we do at The Accident & Personal Injury Law Firm of Emmanuel L. Muwonge & Associates, LLC.

Q: Can I recover compensation for accidents causing injuries or death but otherwise not involving vehicles or motorcycles or motorised transport?

A: Yes. You are entitled to compensation from whoever is responsible for causing your injuries including but not limited to residential and commercial landlords and their management agencies, owners and managers of amusement parks, owners, managers and security services of taverns and bars, manufacturers of products, governmental agencies, hospitals, clinics, physicians and nurses and any professional or para professional who may have failed to comply with the Standard of Care and as a result of which you sustained temporary and permanent injuries, losses and/or damages.

Q: Do I automatically recover money damages from the responsible person for my accident and injuries?

A: No. In addition to showing your injuries, losses and damages, your loss needs to be insured or covered by a policy of insurance. If you or the loss is not insured, the person responsible for the injuries caused must be insured by a policy of liability insurance. If they are uninsured, and your injuries arose from an automobile crash or accident, the uninsured motorist coverage of your policy covers your accident and injuries. If neither one of the parties is insured, chances of collecting compensation depend upon what assets or cash you can get hold of. Usually, if there is no insurance there is nothing worth insuring.

Q: How do you know what my case is worth?

A: We use a variety of indicators including whether you contributed to the accident causing your injuries, the nature, type and extent of injury suffered, length of pain and disability sustained, duration of time away from school, work or loved ones, length of treatment, cost of past, present and future medical and therapeutic services, wages you lost and the loss of the enjoyment of life and other factors. No two cases are the same even if in the same accident.

In some cases, we consult with experts who assist us in evaluating the losses you suffered, arriving at a dollar figure for losses sustained by a client and or their loved ones.

Q: How long will my case take before you settle it?

A: There are no rules regarding how long a case lasts. Each case is different. We have settled both small and large cases in record times while also resolving cases large and small after several years. I do remember settling a Kenosha case in 64 days for $210,000.00, a Milwaukee case in 3 weeks for $105,000.00 and many large and small cases in over a year. There is really no rule of thumb and many factors determine the time period within which a case is resolved. You must remember that we always plan to resolve cases in the fastest possible time for the most available cash because, we only get paid when we collect money for a client and, like everyone else, must pay our bills every 30 days. The sooner a case is settled, the sooner we are paid and the sooner we pay our bills.

Q: Can you collect for me if I sustained an injury I was never treated for?

A: It is very difficult to show that you experienced pain and suffering without accompanying medical records documenting and detailing what your pain was and what treatment was rendered as a result.

We need a credible record from a health professional and cannot solely rely upon eye witnesses in proving the nature and extent of injuries and losses you were caused to suffer. You must always be examined by a healthcare professional immediately following your accident and injuries and, if you require further treatment or follow-up, you must be seen and treated by others who usually include Chiropractors, Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine, Physical Therapists, Psychologists and Psychiatrists. Because it is important to document your treatment, it is equally important to always tell your therapist and treating physician how you are feeling, what your pain levels are, how often you experience pain, what triggers the pain, what limitations you have, what activities you have been unable to participate in and anything new with your body since the accident you are being treated for.

You also must comply with any restrictions imposed by your doctors because, if you fail, one of the conclusions is that you were not hurt or hurt as bad as you claim to be. Remember that, in many cases, an insurance company will send investigators with cameras to follow you to confirm the nature and extent of your injuries and how they preclude you from doing what you used to do. Being unable to go to work only to be found playing basketball and dunking the ball is usually confirmation for the insurance company that one is not hurt like they claim to be and that will usually end one’s claim.  Be prudent, honest and truthful.

Q: I was injured while travelling in an uninsured vehicle as a result of the negligence of the driver of the other vehicle. Can I be compensated?

A: Only if the other vehicle is insured. If both vehicles are uninsured, you have no insurance from which to collect unless there are assets you can seize and sell.

Q: I was injured or a family member was killed in a vehicle crash by an uninsured vehicle. Can you represent us and collect compensation for our family?

A: Yes. Assuming your vehicle was insured, you will be compensated under the Uninsured Motorist portion of your auto insurance policy. Uninsured Motorist Coverage is mandatory in Wisconsin.

Call Us Right Away. Honor us by entrusting your accident case to us AND, Let Us Work Together Because, When We Work Together, Stay Together, Support Each Other, We Win Together.

If you and or a loved one have been victims of an accident , call the Milwaukee Accident & Personal Injury Law Firm of Emmanuel L. Muwonge & Associates, LLC., for a No obligation Free In Person or Telephone Consultation. (414)933-4144!

Share this Article