Medical Malpractice

Q: What is Medical Malpractice?

A: Medical Malpractice is or are the circumstances involving a healthcare professional or professionals and their workers whose actions or inactions result in harm to a patient who has been entrusted to their care and management.

The action or inaction may involve their failure to correctly diagnose an illness and or a condition, failure to provide the appropriate level of care as is required by the standard to which they are held in that community.

Q: Who do I file a claim against?

A: A Medical Malpractice case may be filed against a hospital, doctors, nurses, nursing assistants and anyone or any agency operating the hospital facility where you were treated at when your injury or harm arose. Harm may include death of your loved one that was entrusted to their care.

Q: Why are Medical Malpractice cases difficult to prosecute?

A: In Wisconsin, the landscape favors healthcare providers because of the various hoops claimants and victims of Medical Malpractice must go through in order to successfully bring or prosecute a Medical Malpractice case. There are strict limitations on who can sue for medical malpractice, how much money they can collect and where the money will come from.

Q: Who can sue when someone dies as a result of Medical Malpractice?

A: The state of the law in Wisconsin is such that Wisconsin Law permits only spouses and minor children to sue for loss of companionship when a death occurs as a result of medical malpractice.

Q: What other limits are there?

A: There is no limit on the amount of monetary recovery for what the law categorizes as economic damages regarding medical negligence. Those damages include Wage Loss, Medical Expenses and Tangible Expenses.

Q: How much time do I have to bring or file a Medical Malpractice case?

A: In Wisconsin, the statute of limitations is 3 years. That means that you have 3 years from the date of injury or when a medical doctor gives you a diagnosis following the negligent treatment you received.

If you or a loved one has sustained injuries due to the negligence of a healthcare worker, Call The Personal Injury Law Firm of Emmanuel L. Muwonge & Associates, LLC., at (414) 933-4144.

Share this Post